Affirmation of Baptism
What is affirmation of baptism and who is it for?
- Are you turning over a new leaf in life, or are you facing a new season in your faith journey? This is a great place to recommit your heart to the life of faith and discipleship.
- Were you confirmed years ago, and looking for a refresher? Were you confirmed in a different denomination and looking for a deeper connection to Lutheran theology or to this congregation? This gathering is for you!
- 2020 9th graders, this is your opportunity to finish the confirmation cycle that you began as 8th graders.
- New members, this is a great way to connect in a deeper way to FLC and its members.
- Parents and parents-to-be, this is an excellent way to prepare for your child’s baptism!
Wednesday evenings, 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
March 4, 11, 18, 25; April 1 & 15
Simple dinner will be provided for our evening discussions. You are also invited to join us Wednesday evenings for mid-week Lenten worship services at 6:00 p.m., March 4 – April 1.
Affirmation of Baptism
Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 11:00 a.m. worship
Fellowship hour will be held in your honor on this Sunday, so plan to join us at 9:30 a.m. for cake and coffee fellowship. Families, extended families, baptismal sponsors, and other guests are invited and encouraged to attend worship this day to celebrate with you!
Contact us with any questions
Follow this link to register. You can also sign up by contacting the church office at (563) 382-2638. For more information, contact Pastor Chad or Pastor Melissa.
Schedule & Requirements
The purpose of our weekly gatherings is to reflect on our own lives and to talk about the ways that God is calling us to live our faith in the world. This is less of a “teaching time” and more of an opportunity for reflection, discernment, and sharing.
We ask that participants commit to at least five of the six sessions; we will offer this opportunity again in the fall if this spring’s schedule does not allow your full participation at this time.
- March 4 – Affirmation of Faith: Our first session will focus on what we believe as Christians and especially as Lutheran Christians. We will consider the creeds of the church and how they relate to what we know and believe about God.
- March 11 – Baptismal Promise Spotlight – To live among God’s faithful people: This session will focus on the ways that we are connected to the community of faith. We will consider our own spiritual gifts and the ministries and calling of the church.
- March 18 – Baptismal Promise Spotlight – To hear the word of God and share in the Lord’s Supper: This session will consider the ways that we read and use the Bible in our own lives of faith, the ways that we understand and experience communion, and the ways that we connect to God and to one another through worship.
- March 25 – Baptismal Promise Spotlight – To share the good news of God in Christ in word and deed: This session will invite us to consider how we are (or are not!) living out God’s hope and grace in a public and identifiable way. How does the world know that we are people of faith? What are others learning or observing about who God is through our words and our actions?
- April 1 – Baptismal Promise Spotlight – To serve all people, following the example of Jesus; to strive for justice and peace in all the world: This session will focus on these final two baptismal promises, which challenge us to follow Jesus in living our lives for the good of others and or the building up of God’s kingdom, on earth as it is in heaven.
- April 15 – Faith Statement Sharing: Inspired by our conversations and by individual reflection, each participant will write a personal statement of faith, to be shared with other group members at this final session.
- Sunday, April 19 – Affirmation of Baptism at 11:00 a.m. worship