Frequently Asked Questions
I haven’t been to church in a while (or ever) and am nervous. Will I fit in?
I identify as LGBTQIA+ or transgender -- am I welcome?
You have lots of doors. Which door should I use?
- Looking for the church office? Use the glass double doors off of West Broadway.
- Coming to worship Sunday? Go in the big red doors, the single glass door at the corner of Mill and Broadway, or the single glass door on the east side of the courtyard.
- Coming for the food pantry? Use the glass doors on the west side of the courtyard.
What is worship like?
Summer worship on Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings follows a straightforward Lutheran liturgy.
- You will receive a bulletin containing all the liturgy, prayers, and responses.
- Most songs will come out of Evangelical Lutheran Worship, the red hymnal.
- Saturday worship is led by piano. Sunday 8:30 a.m. worship is led by organ, piano, and choir.
- Services include prayers, songs, responses, readings, a sermon, offering, and communion.
What's with the columns and cables in the sanctuary? And the sideways pews?
In December 2018, we discovered some structural concerns with our 140+ year old sanctuary roof. We vacated the sanctuary for about six months while work could be done to stabilize the sanctuary roof and walls in order to make it safe to occupy once again. This work involved installing columns from the rafters all the way down through the sanctuary floor, down through the fellowship hall, and into the bedrock below. This work also involved installing tension cables to stabilize the plaster and brick walls.
The columns meant that we needed to reorganize sanctuary seating. To best preserve sight-lines wtih the columns, we turned the pews in the front half of the sanctuary inward, and moved our altar platform into the center of the space. It is new and different, and a lovely way to worship that helps a big space feel intimate and lofty! Come check it out!
You can read more about our building’s journey on our building updates page.
Do I have to be Lutheran to take communion?
What about my children?
- Children are welcome at all of our worship services – we encourage families to participate together in all the elements of worship.
- A children’s play area is available for families in the back of the sanctuary.
- We have a staffed nursery during Sunday worship; follow the signs out the door at the front right of the sanctuary.
- During the school year, Children’s Chapel is offered as part of 8:30 a.m. worship. Interested children are dismissed prior to the sermon for age-appropriate activities based on the day’s Bible readings. They return to the sanctuary in time for communion.
- Children are welcome at communion! We do formal communion education as a milestone in fifth grade, but we let parents and kids make the decision that is right for their family about when children begin taking communion. Pastor Chad and Pastor Melissa would love to talk to you about this if you have questions or need advice!
I’d like to talk to somebody about church, faith, doubts, questions, volunteer opportunities, etc. Who can I contact?
Pastor Chad and Pastor Melissa are always happy to talk to you! They can help you out or point you in the right direction. Email them using the links above or call the church office (563-382-2638). If you are interested in learning more about children’s and youth ministry, contact Adrian Walter, our Director of Youth and Family Ministries.