For more information or to submit a cover letter/resume, email email@example.com or visit the job posting on the American Guild of Organists website.
Click here for history/information about our Casavant Pipe Organ.
Job Description & Requirements:
The organist/accompanist of First Lutheran, Decorah, Iowa will serve as assistant director of music as a key member of the church staff. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the Director of Music to prepare music during a variety of worship services and events throughout the year. First Lutheran, Decorah, Iowa is a progressive congregation (RIC) with a prominent reputation for its music program.
First Lutheran prizes skill, experience, creativity, flexibility, and cooperation in its staff and leadership. In addition to these qualities, the assistant director of music and organist is also expected to possess the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor of Music in church music, organ performance, or a related field is preferred. Equivalent church organist experience is also considered.
- A pleasant, cooperative, creative, and positive personality that can serve as an active member of the church staff and be a positive and professional representative of the FLC music program within the Decorah community.
- A practical knowledge of Lutheran worship tradition and a theological understanding of the church sufficient to appropriately select music for traditional worship, or a willingness to learn.
- Sight reading and accompanist skills appropriate for choral rehearsal support.
- The ability to play and work comfortably in a range of styles.
- The ability to lead and direct hand bell choirs or other choirs and services is strongly preferred.
- A desire to collaborate with contemporary music leaders and provide piano and/or keyboard support when needed.
The organist/accompanist at First Lutheran Church is expected to work in direct collaboration with the Director of Music, who will also serve as supervisor. The following outlines specific duties of the position:
- Play organ—including liturgy, hymns, and choral accompaniment—for all traditional-style regular and holiday worship services of the church including:
- Sunday morning traditional worship (8:30 AM)
- Accompany weekly Saturday 5:00 p.m. worship (piano)
- Advent and Lenten mid-week services
- Christmas Eve and Day
- Holy Week (Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil)
- Serve as rehearsal keyboardist for the choir at regular Wednesday evening rehearsals as well as in preparation for special services and performances.
- Rehearse and accompany soloists & special music for all services (Saturday evening, Sunday traditional, Sunday contemporary).
- Play organ at special events such as:
- Installations and other special events of the congregation
- Large works for choir and orchestra
- Select organ repertoire (prelude, communion, postlude) for each service and communicate selections in a timely manner to the office staff and Director of Music.
- Assist the Director of Music and liturgy in other musical matters (repertoire selection, occasional rehearsals coverage, liturgy planning, etc.) as appropriate.
- Arrange for coverage for all services when absent.
- Provide organ music for all weddings, funerals, or other special events in the congregation (right of first refusal, includes additional compensation)
- Conduct adult and youth hand bell choirs (if qualified and interested, will be reflected in compensation)
- Participate in periodic employee reviews conducted by clergy and/or the director of music and liturgy.
- Serve as curator of the church’s keyboard instruments.