As a community of women created in the image of God, called to discipleship in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves to grow in faith, affirm our gifts, support one another in our callings, engage in ministry and action, and promote healing and wholeness in the church, the society and the world.
Program Areas and Aims
- Mission: Growth. To promote a variety of learning experiences that strengthen each woman as a whole person, develop her potential, and equip her for ministry.
- Mission: Community. To enable each woman to value herself and others as created in God’s image and redeemed through Christ; and to build up and celebrate relationships that are global, diverse, and interdependent.
How to Get Involved
- Join a Circle. Call a leader with any questions.
- Help make quilts for Lutheran World Relief at “Do Day”, 4th Wednesday of each month from 9:00-2:00.
- Make a kit for Lutheran World Relief. See containers and instructions above coat racks. http://www.lwr.org
- Knit a prayer shawl. Call Helen James, 382-6479, for information.
- Bible Study
- Serving through Mission Community events such as providing volunteers, food, entertainment to nursing homes in Decorah, and World Day of Prayer
- Serving through Mission Action and making Lutheran World Relief quilts and kits
- Providing food and serving funeral lunches and Vacation Bible School lunches
- Organizing, providing food and serving the church Nordic Fest Dinner
- Organizing and providing volunteers for fundraisers — e.g., rummage sale & bake sales
- Fellowship through special social events for women and serving various functions as requested by the church council
- Giving offerings for church-wide ministry, state and local benevolences; as well as First Lutheran Library and Parish visitors
- Participating in Cluster, Synod and the national Church organization and programs
- Providing EWALU camperships and college scholarships
Cafe is an award-winning, on-line magazine from the Women of the ELCA that features timely articles about faith and life. Scripture reflections, and an opportunity for sharing your thoughts with others. This is a free and monthly e-zine. www.boldcafe.org
Gather Magazine: www.gathermagazine.org