Affirmation of baptism
(Also known as Confirmation)
affirmation of baptism: My faith journey
8th & 9th Grade Confirmation
10th Grade Confirmation
Wednesday evenings in September and October
The confirmation program at First Lutheran Church prepares youth to publicly affirm their baptisms (affirm their faith) in front of the congregation. Our curriculum invites students to intentional conversation and reflection about their faith journey thus far in life.
Sunday sessions for 8th and 9th graders are structured around topics in faith, and are grouped according to the baptismal promises that students will affirm in their 10th grade year. Parents (or other trusted adults) attend classes with their students, and will work together throughout the year to compile a spiritual autobiography for each student.
10th grade students meet for capstone sessions on Wednesday evenings in the fall in preparation for writing faith statements and participating in confirmation interviews before celebrating the rite of affirmation of baptism in worship.
8th & 9th GRADE REQUIREMENTS
- Attend Sunday confirmation sessions from 9:50 – 10:45 a.m. in the Upper Room, beginning September 16 – We understand that weekly attendance can be difficult. We ask you to make a good faith effort and to keep us informed about expected absences.
- BYOB – Bring your own Bible (And a pen or pencil, please!)
- Complete the series of My Faith Journey handouts (most of this work will be done in class) – Handouts for each week should be completed as short “homework” if students and/or their trusted adult are unable to attend.
- Complete 10 “regular” worship notes – click here to see the current tally
- Complete the series of 5 Worship Together worksheets
- Serve as acolyte when scheduled
- Attend our winter confirmation retreat (students only) Sunday-Monday, January 13-14, 2019. Please block off these dates on your calendar and plan to attend.
10th GRADE REQUIREMENTS (Fall 2018)
- Affirmation of Baptism (Confirmation) for 10th grade students takes place October 28th during 8:30 AM worship. Fellowship hour on October 28th will be in honor of the confirmands and families should plan to participate.
- Attend Wednesday evening confirmation sessions with Pastor Chad, 6:15-7:30 p.m. through October 24.
- Complete any outstanding worship notes – click here to see the current tally, leftover from last year
- Write a faith statement of at least two pages that focuses on the promises made in baptism and promises you will make at the affirmation of your baptism.
- Participate in a confirmation interview with the pastors and Adrian. Confirmation interviews take place October 18, 23, or 24.
- Present your faith statement to your peers and family members on Wednesday evening, October 24th, beginning at 6:15 p.m. (Refreshments provided; confirmation worship rehearsal also takes place this evening).
2018-2019 SCHEDULE (8TH & 9TH GRADE)
TO LIVE AMONG GOD’S FAITHFUL PEOPLE
September 16: Baptism
September 23: Community
September 30: Commitment
October 7: Worship I
October 14: Worship II
October 21: Death & Resurrection
October 28: NO CONFIRMATION CLASS
November 4: Communion of Saints
TO HEAR THE WORD OF GOD AND SHRAE IN THE LORD’S SUPPER
TO SHARE THE GOOD NEWS OF GOD IN CHRIST THROUGH WORD AND DEED
January 6: NO CONFIRMATION
January 13: Good News
**January 13-14 Retreat at EWALU: Jesus**
January 20: Grace & Forgiveness
January 27: NO CONFIRMATION CLASS
February 3: Highs & Lows
February 10: Christian Identity
February 17: I Believe
February 24: Sharing My Beliefs
TO SERVE ALL PEOPLE, FOLLOWING THE EXAMPLE OF JESUS
March 3: NO CONFIRMATION CLASS
March 10: Service
March 17: Welcome
March 24: Spiritual Gifts
March 31: Stewardship
April 7: Vocation
TO STRIVE FOR JUSTICE AND PEACE IN ALL THE WORLD
April 14: Justice & Peace
April 21: NO CONFIRMATION CLASS
April 28: Creation Care
May 5: Faith & Science